2700 East 18th Street
Kansas City, MO 64127
Entire Kansas City Missouri School District
University of Missouri—Columbia
The MU Office of Charter School Operations monitors school operations throughout the year and provides an annual statement regarding how well a school is complying with its stated charter goals. These web pages provide information about the school, including
- Academic Performance
- Governance and Operations
Based on this and information gathered in other monitoring activities our office conducts, we provide the adjoining Sponsor Statement.
Sponsor Statement SY2019 KIPP KC
KIPP Kansas City (KIPP KC) went through significant changes in adding additional grade sections. They also added additional members to the board, updated their strategic plan and more actively engaged committee meetings. Additionally, KIPP KC continued to implement program adjustments including establishing more consistent teacher norms throughout the school. This report is structured by the expectations set forth in the Performance Contract with MU. KIPP KC meets its charter commitments in all areas.
- The Governing Board meets regularly, follows its agendas, and complies with all relevant laws, including the Sunshine Law. The board has followed through with the steps needed to improve governance. It went through training with Charter Board Partners with financial assistance from the Charter School Sponsorship Office.
- The board worked with a consultant in creating a strategic plan addressing academic improvements and school growth. MU was pleased to support this work as essential to implementing the charter and improving student outcomes. The resulting plan is detailed and designed to guide decisions throughout each year and each project.
- KIPP KC remains fiscally responsible and has adopted a more conservative budget to address less funding. They continued to monitor and adjust staffing to address budgetary concerns without impacting instruction. The school continues to keep close watch on finances while considering expansion. KIPP KC ended the year with a 15.06% fund balance, an increase from 2018.
- Following a growth phase, KIPP did not expand in 2019. As the current focus is on middle school performance, the school ramped up tutors and community partnerships. The school went through less changes this year than it has in the last 2 years. There was low turnover in staff, which allowed the school to strengthen its focus on a clearer KIPP culture and help teachers align with student needs, continuing ever more consistent expectations and routines.
- The 2019 Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) underwent significant changes in reporting that proves challenging when working to hold sponsored schools accountable to Performance Contracts tied to APR scores. Nevertheless, KIPP continues to outperform KCPS, meeting is performance contract targets. We expect to see continued focus on academic achievement as KIPP implements its Strategic Plan.
KIPP KC is a public charter school in Kansas City serving children from Kindergarten through 8th grade, with support through high school and into college.
We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives
Our mission is to establish a warm and demanding student culture that supports mastery of power standards aligned with college readiness.
The vision of KIPP KC is that, as a proud member of the KIPP Team & Family, we will create a powerful, urgent, learning and teaching environment that helps each student and adult to be their best self each day. KIPP KC will equip students with the knowledge, skills, and character strengths necessary to succeed in top quality high schools, colleges, and the competitive world beyond.